Much like sipping a luxurious glass of champagne, reclining on the beach, or listening to the perfect music for an occasion, wearing lingerie should be an experience of feeling powerful, relaxed, and sensual. Whatever your personal tastes and preferences, we’ve compiled the ultimate lingerie guide to help you look (and feel) absolutely unbelievable in the perfect selection of lingerie. Read on for the best tips to choosing lingerie not only by body type, but also by personality type, color, style, and mood.
When it comes to choosing the perfect lingerie, personality type is at least as important as body type. Whether you’re casual and laidback, bold and adventurous, candy apple sweet or dark chocolate seductive, lingerie can offer the perfect outlet to explore and express your unique personality. Here are just a few of our top suggestions to suit your distinctive style:
• For the Idealist
Exquisite style and second-skin comfort exist in perfect harmony in the realm of the idealist. Pure tones and divine detailing without excess are key factors for this personality type. We recommend the La Cavalière Push Up Bra from Maison Close: simple, serene, and breathtakingly elegant.
• For the Adventurer
A risk-taking personality is ideally suited to risk-taking lingerie. Opt for fabrics and styles that feature unusual textures, innovative configurations, or cutting-edge designs. For the best of la lingerie dangereuse, we recommend the Multi Strap Cage Bra and Cheeky from Hauty.
• For the Life of the Party
For those who feel most comfortable at the center of attention, taking advantage of an emboldening lingerie guide can be the perfect way to attract it. The Cerise Bra and Panty Set from Be Wicked in hot pink and rich black is ideal for pairing with showstopping heels or flirtatious stockings, and is certain to leave a lasting impression long after the party’s over.
• For the Sophisticate
A truly sophisticated woman appreciates perfection, beauty, and luxury - and deserves lingerie that celebrates those same qualities in herself. The Music Hall Draped Bodysuit from Maison Close features soft, deeply draped fabric with a European mesh panty, and exemplifies the dramatic impulses and stunning precision of this elegant personality type.
• For the Vixen
Intelligent and self-assured, the vixen has a habit of breaking hearts and taking names. She delights and excels in getting what she wants, and loves to exploit the element of surprise. To dress the part, we recommend the Mini Chemise Dress from Hauty, a chic, design-forward staple of any authentic vixen’s wardrobe.
Flirt With Your Comfort Zone
Of course, the ideal lingerie guide is not only a path to celebrating your wheelhouse, but also offers an exciting way to venture outside it. Here’s a step-by-step guide to foraying into unexplored terrain:
1. Take stock. Go to your lingerie drawer (or, ideally, your dedicated lingerie closet). Next, make a brutally honest assessment of what you find. Note the strengths and weaknesses of your collection. For instance, do you have multiple pastel versions of the same babydoll? A cadre of black lace underwear that all looks virtually identical? Take time to assess themes in style, predominant trends in color, and any notable items or absences that surprise you.
2. Take a step back. Which elements seem to be missing from your collection? To what degree does your current collection seem to exhibit triumphs or lapses in judgment? Most importantly, dare to identify which elements you would enjoy having on hand, but don’t currently own. A woman’s collection of lingerie can say a lot about her. Imagine that you’re a stranger perusing your closet for the first time, and do your best to determine what your lingerie collection says about you.
3. Take action. Now (and this is the fun part) think about what you would like your lingerie to say about you, and determine to make your fantasy a reality. Perhaps you’re hoping to procure some edgier styles to complement a wardrobe that’s rife with ribbon and lace, or maybe you’re looking for some bright pinks and blues to offset a classically black and white lingerie collection. Armed with research and primed to execute an informed decision, it’s time to go shopping. Much like any reputable lingerie guide, the best sites will feature shopping options by both category and designer, as well as a reliable sizing chart to help ensure the perfect fit for whatever items you choose.
Match Your Mood
One of our favorite modes of self-expression, wearing lingerie can perform as an excellent conduit for conveying your mood. To help you communicate exactly what your whims dictate, here’s a brief guide to choosing (and rocking) lingerie by color:
• Black is the color of power, authority, and natural dominance. This color is also associated with a classic appeal, fashion, and sophistication, and has inspired the accurate assertion that everyone looks great in black. This color can also be slimming, and creates a striking visual impact that effortlessly toggles between elegance and edginess. For the perfect combination of these factors, we recommend the Black Sheer Overlay Bra and Panty Set from Be Wicked.
• Red represents one of the most important colors for any comprehensive lingerie guide. This color represents passion, desire, and energy; communicates intensity; and can literally raise the heart rate of the viewer. To achieve this result for more reason than one, we recommend the Draped Cowl Neck Chemise from Escanté in red hot red.
• Pink symbolizes romance, companionship, and love, and is a more soothing and feminine variation of pure red. One of the most popular colors for lingerie, pink can range from playful hot pink to flirty and subtle tints. To toy with the latter, we recommend the Pink Ruffled Mesh Chemise from iCollection.
• Blue is among the most versatile colors for lingerie, and is often chosen to convey confidence, intelligence, loyalty, and depth. Depending on the shade, blue lingerie can put the viewer in mind of such natural elements as the ocean and the sky. It’s also worth noting that blue is commonly one of the favorite colors among men, and with pieces like the Cerulean Escape Bustier Set from Escanté, we don’t think you’ll hear any objections.
• Green is a color most often associated with nature, and can create a refreshing, relaxing, and calming effect on the viewer. While this may indeed be the case, the Flutter Ruffle Bra and Thong Set from Escanté in neon lime may also have the opposite effect.
• Purple is the symbolic color of royalty, and is highly regarded for communicating wealth, indulgence, and luxury. An essential of any lingerie wardrobe, purple items should reflect and bring out the wearer’s feelings of power, dignity, and creativity. Of course, we encourage you to discover this effect for yourself, starting with the Never Say Never Brazilian Minikini from Cosabella in lavender luster.
• White technically comprises the consolidation of all other colors, and is widely considered to be the color of perfection. White is undoubtedly a color staple of every lingerie drawer, and, as exemplified by the Classic Racerback Set from Be Wicked, has the potential to mix its associations of divinity, purity, and an angelic nature with a far edgier appeal.
Discover the Perfect Shape
While conveying the right mood with your selection of lingerie is vital, no self-respecting lingerie guide would be complete without a detailed overview of selecting the right lingerie for your body type. Of course, no two women are alike, and it’s essential to celebrate your unique self with the perfect lingerie to match. First, here are a few crucial tips to help get you started:
1. Dress to accentuate. Each individual has certain areas of her body she considers to be her greatest strengths. Lingerie is designed to accentuate these features, whether it’s height, curvature, or even more subtle elements like terrifically toned arms or elegant collarbones. This a great opportunity to not only to draw attention to particular parts of the body (we’re looking at you, Hauty), but also to reveal beautiful skin, play with elements of shape, and create a stunning overall impression.
2. Dress for your body, not for the rack. A piece of lingerie might look stunning draped over the bedspread, hanging in your closet, or dangling precariously from the headboard (which, if we’re to be honest, is very likely where it will eventually wind up), but the most important factor to consider is how it will look on you. After your initial attraction to a piece of lingerie, consider how this item will flatter your curves, where it will hug your body, and what areas it will reveal.
3. Dress to impress (yourself). When it comes to navigating a quality lingerie guide, it’s not only possible to have your cake and eat it too, it’s absolutely essential. In this case, the proverbial “cake” and its consumption refer to beauty and comfort. By selecting the right pieces for your body type, you can enjoy the best of both worlds with truly gorgeous lingerie that also feels wonderful to wear.
For the Goddess of Curves
Fine lingerie is nothing if not an opportunity to flaunt your most womanly dimensions. Here are a few of the top styles for this body type:
• Hourglass figures tend to play well with three-piece lingerie sets, such as the Jacquard Mesh Bra and Panty Set from iCollection. Pieces such as these draw attention to a small waist while accentuating a classically symmetrical figure.
• Women who are more generously endowed will look exceptional in balconette and demi style bras. For a gorgeous overall shape, we recommend the Villa Satine Push Up Bra from Maison Close.
• Chemises are the ideal go-to for curve-hugging comfort, and a key element of any lingerie guide. Deeply flattering in midnight purple or black, the Fringe Benefits Dress from Escanté complements voluptuous curves with a plunging V neckline and seductively angled hem.
For the Athletic Angel
Athletic body types are characterized by a strong and often slender appearance, typically defined by toned limbs and subtler curves. Because shaping and support are often less of a factor for athletic types, this is a terrific form for experimenting with nontraditional and decorative designs.
• Perfect for showing off toned tummies, camisole sets are a great fit for the athletic body type. The Classic Lace Camisole Set from Escanté sports a flirty cut in vibrant fuschia, red, black, or ocean blue lace.
• Creating a sensual, streamlined overall appearance, the La Cavalière Bodysuit from Maison Close captures the height of elegance with feminine appeal, and is among our lingerie guide favorites.
• A straight figure will appear anything but straightlaced in the Basketweave Mesh Teddy from Hauty, featuring a dynamic pattern of criss-crossed elastic and mesh.
For the Petite Powerhouse
Whether you’re a lover or a fighter, the petite physique is perfect for showing off a range of lingerie styles. Here are just a few key elements to navigating this body type:
• Low rise panties, such as the Classic Low Rise Lace Panty from Be Wicked, are an essential for any prettily petite lingerie collection. Low rise designs help to create the illusion of a longer torso, and are a flattering complement to virtually all clothing styles.
• Petite figures tend to play well with triangular shapes, which visually add variation and angularity. We recommend the Hotel Diva Triangle Bra from Maison Close, structured to offer superior comfort with a breathtaking design.
• For those who aren’t afraid of inviting comparison, baby dolls offer a universally flattering (and universally adored) style that gorgeously softens and complements a petite frame.
TIP: Combine any lingerie guide style with a pair of Lace Top Sheer Thigh Highs from Be Wicked to create the illusion of height and enhance the impression of long, slender legs.
Be Ready for Any Occasion
As every woman knows, high-quality lingerie isn’t just for after hours. The best pieces will help you experience a sense of empowerment, excitement, and inner beauty: impressions that are the perfect fit for every occasion. Here are a couple of aspects to consider when pairing linger with daytime wear:
• Choose compatible styles and fabrics.
Layering underwear with outerwear is an art form, and with a diverse selection of styles from Smitten Lingerie, any woman can be an artist. To successfully pair lingerie with professional attire, aim to couple smooth fabrics with like materials, avoid cumbersome or obvious attachments such as thick buttons and oversized bows, and ensure that more intensely colored lingerie will not be visible beneath lighter colors of clothing.
• Opt for comfort.
To look incredible, one must also feel incredible. To that end, we encourage choosing lingerie pieces that feature soft fabrics, gentle edges, and high-quality design, allowing you to effortlessly feel beautiful throughout a long day at the office, at home, or on the go. With fashion-forward brands such as Cosabella, Escanté, and Maison Close, achieving unbelievable comfort with extraordinary design has never been more possible (or more pleasurable).
• Ensure the perfect fit.
Even within the unparalleled convenience of online shopping, finding the perfect fit is a breeze. Click here to access our comprehensive size guide, including advanced measurements to ensure an ideal fit for all types of lingerie from a full range of brands.
To Discover the Best Lingerie, Indulge in the Best Lingerie Shopping Experience
At Smitten Lingerie, we’re dedicated to helping our customers procure the most scintillating, seductive, alluring, and exceptional lingerie on the planet. We offer fast, reliable shipping throughout the United States, as well as convenient options for international deliveries. For thoughtful gift-givers, Smitten Lingerie gift certificates are available in amounts ranging from $25 to $500, and comprise the perfect present for virtually any occasion. Click here to create a custom wish list, curating your tops picks from among our extensive selection of bras, panties, teddies, and more for the ideal collection to reflect your personal style.
Whatever your desires, we’re confident that you’ll discover exactly what you’re looking for at Smitten Lingerie. Contact us anytime at email@example.com, or give us a call at (760) 710-7216. We also love to connect with our customers via social media, and hope you’ll enjoy perusing our beautiful inspiration photos, helpful articles on lingerie care and selection, and timeless lingerie guide tips for a gorgeous, confident you.